Manila Water and Tagum Water District to implement P0.5B bulk water supply project

Generic placeholder image
From left: DOJ Office of the Government Corporate Counsel Atty. Elpidio J. Vega, Tagum Water District (TWD) BOD Vice Chairman Alma Uy, Manila Water Philippine Ventures CEO and Davao Norte Water President Virgilio Rivera, Jr., TWD General Manager Nelly Gentugaya, Office of the Davao del Norte Governor Representative Sofonias Gabonada, Tagum City Mayor Allan Rellon, Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) Administrator Andres F. Ibarra, and National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) Region XI Representative Emily Salvado.

Davao Del Norte Water Infrastructure Company, Inc. (Davao Norte Water), the consortium of Manila Water and iWater, Inc., formalized its joint venture agreement with the Tagum City Water District for a fifteen-year water project that will supply an additional 38 million liters of water per day (MLD) to Tagum City.

The public-private partnership will undertake the construction of a 527 million-peso bulk water supply system for Tagum that includes an intake structure through river bank filtration, a 38 MLD-capacity water treatment plant, transmission pipeline, and a 5,000-cubic meter water reservoir starting 2016. The project is expected to deliver 26 MLD within the first to third year after commissioning in 2018, 32 MLD within the sixth year, and 38 MLD on the succeeding years until reaching the 15th year of delivery.

Currently, the city sources its supply from groundwater through production wells. The Tagum Water District maintains and operates nine pumping stations as part of its supply system.

During the ceremonial signing held last October 30, Manila Water Philippine Ventures Chief Executive Officer and Davao Norte Water President Virgilio C. Rivera, Jr. shared that the bulk water supply project will be utilizing the river bank filtration system for the first time in the Philippines.

Rivera added that the collaboration promotes an environmentally sound approach to sustainable water supply as water demand in Tagum City continues grow with the advent of more economic opportunities. “As a commercial and industrial hub of the region, development of the much-needed water infrastructure will certainly accelerate the city’s economic growth.”

Davao del Norte Governor Rodolfo del Rosario assured full support to the project that will prepare the province for more investors. “The bulk water supply project will finally solve our thirst for abundant potable water coming from our faucets. Once completed, this will make every home happy and investors even happier.”

This is Manila Water’s first bulk water project in partnership with a water district in the Philippines. Davao Norte Water holds 90 percent equity of the consortium, while the remaining 10 percent is held by Tagum City Water District.

Tagum Water District Board of Directors (BOD) Vice Chairman Alma L. Uy shared that the joint venture represents the water district’s mission to provide sustainable, socialized and responsive service. “Currently, we reach 13 out of 23 barangays. The partnership will assist us in realizing our goal of providing water supply to all these barangays in Tagum City and allow us to refrain from extracting groundwater which brings adverse environmental effects.”

Once completed, the project will benefit more than fifty thousand households or over two hundred thousand population of Tagum as well as the water requirements of various commercial and industrial establishments in the city.

This is Manila Water’s second project in Mindanao after securing a joint venture with Zamboanga City Water District to improve water network efficiency.


< Back to Agos Blog